Tuesday, August 20, 2019

select vs. selected

I was probably no different from you. I believed selected is the only grammatically correct adjective for publication whereas select is not. I observed, however, that 'select publication' are frequently used in CVs (curriculum vitae) of numerous native English speaking professors of top ranking universities. It must not be a collective coincidence of mistakes. In fact, according to this article it turns out that both are correct. You can use either, depending on context. "select" is best suited for cases were the choices are made based upon excellence or superiority, while "selected" is better when the choices are made based upon neutral criteria such as years in which a product was manufactured. Select is not only correct for publication but is far more appropriate than selected if you would like to highlight top papers. There could be cases of course where you meant selected publication. But don't be tempted to feel incorrect when you see select publication in my CV. That is precisely what I intended to mean. You're wrong, like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Philips SAECO Xsmall espresso machine repaired

I have a SAECO Xsmall espresso machine. I bought it in Dec 2014, and brewed 2~3 cups of espresso per day on the average over the last 6 year...